Safety tips for trick-or-treaters (and other Halloween shenanigans)

Halloween is one of our favorite holidays (fun costumes and free candy? Yes please!) Soon, many doorsteps will soon be adorned with jack-o-lanterns and trick-or-treaters. Though Halloween is a day for fun and festivities, there are also some risks to consider. Here are a few tips to keep in mind so you and your family have a safe holiday.


If you or your children plan to dress up, try to pick a costume that’s not too billowy. Long trailing fabrics can trip, snag, or catch on fire quickly if you get too close to an open flame.

Did we say open flame? It’s especially important to exercise caution around candles and fires on Halloween. Candles are often used as decorations, especially in jack-o-lanterns. However, dried flowers, corn stalks, and other sorts of fall décor can be extremely flammable.

Instead of using candles to illuminate jack-o-lanterns, consider using glow sticks or battery-powered decorative lamps. They’re a much safer alternative, plus glow sticks can come in a variety of funky colors, which make for some uniquely cool jack-o-lanterns.

If you do use candles, remember to keep a close eye on them. To light a jack-o-lantern candle, use long matches or a utility lighter to safely reach into the pumpkin. Keep candles and candle-lit jack-o-lanterns at a safe distance away from potentially flammable decorations, and only burn candles somewhere they won’t easily be knocked over or get bumped into by costumed guests. Extinguish candles before leaving the room or area they’re in, and never leave candles unattended.


Halloween is as good a time as any to practice the “stop, drop, and roll” method of fire safety (After all, October is also National Fire Prevention Month either way!) If you or a guest’s costume catches fire, remember to immediately stop, drop to the ground, cover your face with your hands, and roll across the ground to smother the flames.

If you or your children plan to go trick-or-treating, bring flashlights or incorporate glow sticks into costumes. This not only helps to more safely see where you’re going, but also lets other trick-or-treaters and motorists see you coming as well.

And as always, remember to use common sense. We want you to have a fun and safe Halloween! Of course, don’t hesitate to call 911 in case of an emergency. Once you contact 911, call Rocky Mountain Catastrophe if we can be of assistance. We can help 24/7 with anything from fire damage restoration to water cleanup to carpet cleaning – you know, in case your party guests knock the punch bowl onto the carpet.

To contact us, call 970-722-7744 or email [email protected].

Happy Halloween, everyone!