Mold prevention tips

Mold is a nasty beast. It can grow virtually anywhere, including your home, and it can cause a boatload of health problems for you and your family – eye and skin irritation, nasal stuffiness, wheezing, coughing, asthma, fever, even respiratory illness and infection, to name a few.

Mold likes to grow in damp environments. Unfortunately, many areas of the home tend to be damp. Basements and crawl spaces are usually humid, and are prone to water leaks and floods. Showers and bathtubs generate steam, which increases humidity in bathrooms. Cooking in the kitchen also creates steam. Attics can trap moisture that rises from other parts of the home. And when these areas stay humid, conditions are right for mold growth to become a problem.

1-20-2012 (5)

But luckily enough, you can avoid mold and the problems it creates. A little preventative care can go a long way in making sure your home is free of unhealthy mold and safe for your family.

To prevent mold growth, make sure your home stays well ventilated. Run ventilation fans in bathrooms while bathing and in kitchens while cooking. If your bathroom has a window, open it after a shower whenever weather permits. Make sure your attics and basements have sufficient air circulation, and clean up any leaks or spills in your house within 24-48 hours of occurring.

If bathroom, kitchen, or dryer vents empty into your attic, consider rerouting them to empty outside. If areas of your home tend to stay damp, consider adding ventilation or using de-humidifiers. Adding insulation to areas that produce condensation, such as cold water pipes, can also decrease moisture in your home.

If you know of or suspect a mold problem in your property, contact Rocky Mountain Catastrophe for help. We can inspect for mold and remove any problems using our state-of-the-art equipment and techniques. We have all the right training, certifications, high-tech tools, knowhow, and elbow grease to get rid of that mold before it becomes any more of a health hazard to you and your family.

We can make sure your mold problem is COMPLETELY eliminated. Contrary to what you might have heard, simply cleaning or bleaching a moldy area is only a temporary remedy and often does not fully remove the problem. It takes professional help to ensure every last bit of mold is located and removed.

And when we say health hazard, we’re not kidding. Part of our professional protocol requires use of facemasks and haz-mat suits when removing mold, cuz the stuff really is just that nasty.


Visit our mold page or contact Rocky Mountain Catastrophe at (970) 722-7744 to fix your mold problem today.

Click here to read the EPA’s page on mold.

Posted in: