Before the health risks were known, asbestos was used as a fire retardant and heat insulator. These fibers can pose a risk to health if airborne, as inhalation is the main way that it can enter the body. At Rocky Mountain Catastrophe, we can safely clean up asbestos and dispose of it.
According to code, if we remove more than 32 square feet of drywall or friable material (any solid substance that can be broken into pieces with little effort), we’re required to test for asbestos. At the same time, we also test for lead paint, which was commonly used prior to 1978. If we find it or lead paint, we’re required by law to remove it before we can continue to dry out and/or repair or rebuild the building. Fortunately, our abatement efforts can be confined only to the damaged areas that we’re working on, regardless of how prevalent the damage is. Typically, asbestos and lead paint only pose a significant health risk when they’re disturbed. Throughout the damage restoration process, we’ll keep you and your insurance company informed. Don’t try to remove these toxins yourself, as it poses a serious health hazard.
Today, depending on the age of the house or structure, asbestos can be found in:
- ducting / ductwork
- drywall compound
For more information on our asbestos services, please call (970) 722-7744, or e-mail [email protected]. In case of an emergency, please call (970) 531-7308. Please note: In addition to asbestos removal, we also offer mold remediation services, and we’re certified through the IICRC (Institute of Inspection, Cleaning, and Restoration Certification) for mold mitigation.